Thursday, April 25, 2013

From the potters wheel to the plaster wheel.

The Plaster Wheel
This was the first time I learned how to work with plaster and the plaster wheel.  You start by rolling up a plastic tube and setting it center on the wheel head.  Once you have that plastic dammed up around the sides with clay you pour plaster in the tube to the height that you want your piece to be.  Depending on the size of the piece you unroll the plaster and begin to lathe the plaster block into whatever your heart desires.  Once you have the form you want you soap it and repeat the first step and make a crack mold.  This is a cup I made where I lathed it upside down.  

George Timock
Words can not even desribe George Timock, but I will try.  He is the most talented, hard working, and dedicated ceramic artists/teacher I have ever worked with.  I only worked with him for 2 weeks here and there as he helped me learn about basic mold making.  However, I learned a lot from him but still have so much more to learn about molds.  I feel very fortunate to have had the oppurtunity to study and work along side of him.