Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 12, 2012


This past week I have been investigating surface techniques by the use of sprigging and stamping.  One artist I have been observing is Ron Meyers.  Ron uses a very loose technique of sprigging on his pots.  It is not until after gestural marks, carving, and manipulating the surface that you see his animals popping out at you.  Another artist I have been observing is Kristen Kieffer.  Kristen uses stamping to completely manipulate her functional forms at the “suede” stage of the clay.  The last resource I used were multiple books to study pictures of animals.  From studying the pictures I made drawings on slabs of clay, then cut it out and applied them to the surface of my pots. 

Ron Meyers
Kristen Kieffer
Cheetah photo by Chris Johns (National Geographic)